Exhaust System Care
Congratulations and thank you for purchasing a Yoshimura Exhaust System. Over six decades of experience in research and development, state of the art machinery, materials and craftsmanship of the highest quality all come together in a product of exceptional quality and performance—in other words, this is the best thing you can put on your bike.
We strive to provide you with a product perfect in fit and finish. However, if you have any problems, please give us a call. We have found that most fitment issues can be easily resolved by a conversation with one of our knowledgeable and friendly staff. If the issue cannot be resolved this way, our warranty evaluation program may be the answer. Please take a moment to review our recommendations for the care of your exhaust and our warranty information.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have any doubts about your exhaust: DO NOT START THE MOTORCYCLE! ONCE AN EXHAUST HAS BEEN USED OR MODIFIED, IT CANNOT BE RETURNED FOR CREDIT OR EXCHANGE.
Yoshimura Exhaust Systems require very little care and maintenance. Here are a few tips to keep your exhaust looking and working at its best:
- Use mild car/motorcycle soap to clean the exhaust system—do not use any abrasives or degreasers.
- Clean your exhaust with metal/stainless polish every 1-2 months to retain the luster and remove dirt and grime.
(DO NOT USE POLISH ON “WORKS FINISH” SYSTEMS)
- Avoid contaminating exhaust surfaces when hot.
- Your exhaust system will change color (blue, magenta, purple, and/or gold) due to heat; this is normal.
- Keep all clamps, bolts and other fasteners tight as exhaust systems are susceptible to vibration damage.
- If you ride in coastal regions or areas that use salt to control ice and snow, wipe the exhaust down after it cools to remove any possible salt residue, which can result in rusting.
- If you are storing your motorcycle for the season, wipe the exhaust system down with rubbing alcohol before storage.
- Head pipes glowing (visible in normal light) may indicate an excessively lean condition that must be corrected.
Carbon fiber equipped exhaust components require special attention. The following addresses wear issues directly related to carbon fiber:
- Keep all clamps, bolts and other fasteners tight. Carbon Fiber is very susceptible to vibration damage.
- Keep all chemicals and solvents away from the carbon fiber, as they will damage the finish.
- High temperatures will cause the resin in the carbon fiber to break down. Visual signs such as an amber hue in the resin may be early signs of heat damage to carbon fiber.
- Upon seeing amber colored resin, discontinue use. The exhaust system needs to be inspected by a representative from Yoshimura, for repack, and/or repair. Continued use will cause component failure.
Stainless Steel is not rust proof but is less prone to rusting, staining and pitting; but it is prone to oxidation like all metals.
- Works Finish exhaust systems should NEVER be cleaned with abrasives or polishes.
- Yoshimura recommends using “Bar Keepers Friend” cleaner to remove minor stains.
- Surface reconditioning services are available to remove scratches and undesirable discoloration due to extreme heat. Contact Yoshimura Tech Department at (800) 634-9166 / in CA (909) 628-4722 for more information.
***PRO TIP*** Before you install your new muffler for the first-time, weigh and log it, then record the weight in your Owner’s or Service manual along with the current hours or mileage on your vehicle. When you are performing periodic maintenance on your vehicle (like a tire change, or an oil change) you can remove your Yoshimura muffler from the vehicle and weigh it again. Over time, the packing material inside your muffler will burn off with use, and the muffler will need to be repacked. When the weight loses approximately 100 grams of the original weight, you should consider getting your Yoshimura muffler repacked. You can order repacking kit or the parts to repack the muffler from the Yoshimura website, or your local dealer. You can also contact the Yoshimura sales office and arrange to send in your muffler for the repacking service too.